Colin Munro also signs as 2018 champions add firepower to T20 Blast squad
Bravo, who retired from international cricket after last year’s T20 World Cup, has since signed a contract that will see him play at least 10 of Worcestershire’s group games, as well as the knockout stages if they qualify. The Blast runs from May 25, when Worcestershire play Yorkshire on the opening night, until Finals Day on July 16.
“When Moeen mentioned the possibility of me coming over for the Blast whilst we were both at the BPL, it was an opportunity I wanted to seriously look at,” Bravo said. “It’s great that it has all come together. The Vitality Blast is one of the domestic T20 titles that I am yet to win and I will be working hard to help the team achieve success.”
Worcestershire won the Blast for the first time in 2018 and were losing finalists the following season, but their performances have tailed off and they have failed to get out of the group in the last two years. They have lost Riki Wessels (released), Daryl Mitchell (retired) and Ross Whiteley (Hampshire) over the off-season but are confident they can challenge for the title again after adding Bravo, Munro and Ed Pollock (Warwickshire) to their squad.
Paul Pridgeon, the chair of their cricket steering group, said: “To put Dwayne Bravo and Colin Munro in the mix with the players we already have in the squad is excellent news. Moeen has been playing in the Bangladesh Premier League with Dwayne Bravo this winter, has been talking to him and said ‘come and play for us’ – and he agreed.
“Dwayne is available for us at least the final ten group games plus the quarter-finals and final, but that number will increase if Chennai don’t make the knockout stages… to have Colin for the entire tournament and Dwayne for a major proportion of it is great news.”
Matt Roller is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. @mroller98