Matthijs de Ligt is close to putting pen to paper on a new contract with Juventus.
The 22-year-old is approaching the final two years of his current deal and had been heavily linked with a possible exit from the Allianz Stadium, with Manchester United and Chelsea both speculatively tipped to move for the Dutchman.
In reality, Juventus have always been keen to keep hold of De Ligt and Sky Sport Italia now state that they are close to doing so, with an agreement of a contract extension not far from completion.
Personal terms are believed to have been thrashed out and De Ligt is expected to sign on in Turin for another two years, with his new deal set to run until 2026.
News of De Ligt’s future comes shortly after legendary defender Giorgio Chiellini said his final goodbye to the club ahead of leaving this summer.
The 37-year-old will depart for pastures new at the end of the season, with his final home game for the club coming in Monday’s 2-2 draw with Lazio.
“I made my debut against Messina, coming on for Pavel Nedved. That was the start of the long story that took me here. I leave with so much joy and peace, because it was a decision that was made over months, not weeks or days,” Chiellini told Sky Sport Italia.
“I always said I wanted to leave at a high level, suited to the career I had, and I achieved that. It was a tough year for Juventus, but I was able to prove myself at my level on the field and that gave me the push to step aside and let the younger players through.
“Now that they have been cuddled and protected, it is time they take on the responsibility. I am well aware that I clipped the wings of some youngsters at Juventus, so it’s time for them to fly and I will be cheering them on.”