Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray received a contract extension which made him the second-highest paid quarterback in the NFL. That passed Patrick Mahomes.
Mahomes is undeniably the better player, but timing is everything. Mahomes signed his contract years ago, and while the overall value far outweighs what Murray will earn, Kyler has a higher average annual value…for now.
At the time, Mahomes contract was seen as a changing of the guard, and a monumental moment for player empowerment and QB contracts in the NFL. It turns out, we were right that time.
Murray’s deal does pay him more annually than Mahomes. However, his guaranteed money doesn’t measure up to the likes of Mahomes or Deshaun Watson.
Highest-paid quarterbacks in NFL
The highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL are as follows:
- Aaron Rodgers, Packers: $50.3 million (3-year, $150.8 million contract)
- Kyler Murray, Cardinals: $46.1 million (5-year, $230.5 million contract)
- Deshaun Watson, Browns: $46 million (5-year $230 million contract)
- Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs: $45 million (10-year $450 million contract)
- Josh Allen, Bills: $43 million (6-year $258 million contract)
- Derek Carr, Raiders: $40.47 million (3-year, $121.4 million contract)
Chiefs: Could Patrick Mahomes demand a raise?
Brett Veach and Co. likely don’t have to worry about Mahomes asking for a raise for quite some time. Mahomes is making $450 million over the course of his contract, which pays him quite well for the majority of his career.
When the time comes, Mahomes will get a raise, and a good one at that. But that time is not now — at least not while Kansas City is trying to win during Mahomes’ prime.
Veach has done a masterful job gaining as much cap space as humanly possible. Unfortunately, that came at the expense of Tyreek Hill, who was traded to the Miami Dolphins. The Chiefs next big move would appear to be re-signing Orlando Brown Jr., whether that be this offseason or next.
What’s more important than Mahomes’ contract? Protecting his blind side.